Household plants are used for decoration and they clean our air. Not many people know that there are plenty of household plants that are very dangerous for our pets – severe cases can even lead to death. The next list explores the top 10 most common houseplants that are toxic to dogs. Fortunately, you can still have these plants, but make sure you place them in inaccessible areas that your pooch cannot reach. Nonetheless, you should also make sure you have a first aid kit for pets around in case of any accidents.
1. Pothos or Devil’s Ivy (Epipremnum Aureum)
Pothos is one of the most resistant house plants that is also low-maintenance. Many homeowners choose this interesting plant to decorate their homes. However, the plant contains calcium oxalate crystals. When ingested, these lead to swelling, irritation, and burns. In severe cases, your furry friend can develop difficulties when breathing and might even lead to death.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a beautiful plant with numerous health properties for our health. Unfortunately, pets, including dogs, do not benefit much from this plant. The actual gel we use in different lotions or raw is not harmful when ingested. However, the jagged edges of the plant and other parts can lead to digestive issues. If your pet has any skin issues, you can safely apply the liquid and the gel inside the leaf. However, make sure you keep the plant out of their reach as chewing on it is toxic, leading to vomiting and diarrhea.
3. Flame Lily (Gloriosa Superba)
The bright, vivid flame lily is a delicate bloom. It is a beautiful houseplant and is often used for its medicinal properties. Similar to other types of lilies, this flame-like bloom is toxic to dogs. The entire plant is toxic, but the tubers can cause the most damage.
When ingested, the flame lily can lead to death. In fact, this plant has an unfortunate history as it has been used numerous times in history to commit murders, induce abortions, commit suicide, and poison dogs.
4. Sago Palm
The tropical sago palm is a beautiful addition to any home. Fortunately, dogs are not attracted by this plant but if your pooch wants to chew anything they can see, it’s best to keep it away from them. The plant contains cycasin, a toxin that leads to liver damage. Providing an exotic look, the sago palm is toxic from seeds to roots and leaves for both cats and dogs.
5. Asparagus Fern (Asparagus Setaceus)
The asparagus fern looks like a fern, but, technically, it is not a fern. It is also known as a lace fern and you may find it under different names, including plumosa fern, emerald fern or feather, and more. It has a fluffy, feathery look – despite the fact that it is actually related to lilies. If your pooch ingests the berries, the toxin known as Sapogenin leads to abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin inflammation.
6. Chinese Evergreen
Loving darker environments, the Chinese evergreen brings a splash of color to any room. Unfortunately, it is highly toxic to dogs. It is also a relative of the lilies, so it contains the toxic calcium oxalate crystals that lead to vomiting, swelling, oral pain, and even difficulty breathing and swallowing.
7. Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise)
The bird of paradise is a breath-taking plant that comes from South Africa. It is often grown indoors and people care for it due to its bird-like flowers. The plant contains hydrogen cyanide, also known as prussic acid, which is highly toxic to dogs. Hydrogen cyanide was used in several wars like the war between Iraq and Iran and several chemical weapons also contain a form of hydrogen cyanide. While it’s a fantastic looking plant, severe cases of intoxication lead to death so we recommend you stay away from it as well as your dogs.
8. Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane
Tropic snow, dumb cane, or exotica are all names of this interesting flower. It is a low-maintenance houseplant, but it is highly toxic to cats and dogs alike. Similar to other tropical plants, the dumb cane has a high content of calcium oxalate crystals. When ingested, these lead to severe swelling, burns, and can even lead to death.
Philodendrones are easy houseplants, but also mildly toxic due to the calcium oxalate crystals. It is a common choice because it is low-maintenance, but ingestion leads to excessive drooling, intense burns, irritations of mucous membranes, and more.
10. Jade Plant (Crassula Ovata)
The succulent Jade plant is ideal for beginners as it is very low maintenance. It comes with mild toxicity for dogs and you will find it under a broad variety of names, including the dwarf rubber plant, friendship tree, or even Chinese/Japanese rubber plant. Regardless of how you call it, make sure your furry one does not ingest it; otherwise, it leads to slow heart rate (bradycardia), vomiting, ataxia, and even depression.