If you own birds or you simply love these wonderful feathered friends, you should be careful with the plants in your home or outdoors. Numerous plants are toxic to birds, including the adorable cockatiels or our intelligent parrots.
The level of toxicity usually depends on the size of the bird and how much they ingested, and the first sign you will notice is gastrointestinal distress. If you think your bird ate a toxic plant, make sure you call the vet as soon as possible as it can lead to death. These are the most popular plants that are toxic to birds and how you can recognize them with ease.
This fragile plant is often happily welcomed by numerous homeowners because it is believed to attract good luck. Unfortunately, this may only hold for humans, as it is highly toxic to your birds. Ensure you do not keep this plant in or around your home as it is also harmful to other types of pets. When ingested, your bird may suffer from tremors and hypersalivation.
If you love gardening, you have perhaps considered the beautiful amaryllis at some point. Although it is a lovely addition to your flowering collection, you should not cultivate it if you have birds or other types of pets. Ingesting this plant leads to diarrhea, vomiting, and many more health issues.
One of the early signs of spring, daffodils are a staple for many beautiful gardens. However, they are dangerous to our birds due to lycorine, a chemical compound inside the plant. Large amounts of daffodil can lead to death. Other symptoms include gastrointestinal upset and seizures.
4. Morning Glory
With an eye-catching deep blue, the morning glory is indeed of unique beauty. However, your pet bird will not appreciate it as it can make it very sick. Even more important, the seeds contain a chemical that leads to a similar reaction as LSD consumption.
Another spring staple, you should not grow tulips if you have little pet birds. When ingested, it leads to depression, diarrhea, vomiting, and even loss of appetite. The most toxic part of the plant is the bulb which causes abdominal pain, dizziness, and even death in rare cases.
This Plant is Toxic to Cockatiels
Lilies come in many beautiful, innocent-looking varieties, such as the peace lilies. Unfortunately, there’s nothing peaceful when birds ingest them, cockatiels included. You should remove all types of lilies from your landscape as they lead to severe mouth and digestive irritations.
If you have an indoor bird, such as a parrot, you should pay extra attention to what houseplants you grow. Philodendron is one popular choice due to its exquisite foliage, but it is toxic to your bird. Every part of this plant leads to difficulty swallowing, gastrointestinal upset, and even vomiting, among others.
When Christmas is around the corner, all plant lovers opt for the beautiful, festive poinsettia. They are the symbol of this particular time of the year, and you can keep them for the rest of the year, too. Unfortunately, the plant is not only highly toxic to birds but also other pets and even people. It leads to skin and gastrointestinal irritations, along with other severe health issues.
Holly comes with beautiful, bright red berries, and it is also a popular choice during the festive season. It is important to eliminate this plant from your household because the berries resemble a tasty snack for birds. Alternatively, you can decorate your place with artificial holly.
Another toxic plant to cockatiels and other birds, the mistletoe can actually lead to death when ingested in more significant amounts. Other mild or moderate health issues include vomiting, depression, or even anorexia if ingested. All parts are toxic, especially these tiny, delicious-looking berries.
The ivy is an interesting plant with luscious foliage. It can brighten up any home or garden, but it can be deadly for our winged friends. Even the common varieties lead to abdominal pain, vomiting, excessive salivation, and other severe health issues.
Finally, avocados have plenty of health benefits for humans, so it is not uncommon to grow them around our homes. However, most species are toxic to birds, so you should avoid them altogether, just to be on the safe side. The fruit contains persin, a compound you can find in the leaf, bark, and flesh.